Monday, December 15, 2008

Identity Crisis

For the longest time, Kerrigan didn't refer to me by any name. Mostly I was the female version of Dada. When she got pneumonia and was pitiful as all get-out, she miraculously started referring to me as "Nonny." I was a little bummed that it was never "Mama" or "Mommy" or any form thereof. In fact, Sha made fun of the fact that Kerrigan would call me Nonny. Well, miracle of miracles occured a couple of days ago. Kerrigan would wander around the house, talking to herself, and would randomly go into a chorus of "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Nonny, Nonny, Mommy..." etc. I'm not a person to get all sentimental and choked up about things like that, but it really took me by suprise (a pleasant surprise) to hear her say "Mommy." Now I'm in the middle of an identity crisis as Kerrigan now only refers to me as "Mommy." I guess I'm a little bummed because it's generic and expected. "Nonnny" was my special name; no other kids we know have a Nonny. Oh, well. I guess it couldn't last forever. Mommy is still a wonderful thing to be called. Even if it does take some getting used to.

No comments: